Netherlands Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus

Consular declarations

There are many reasons why Dutch nationals abroad might require a consular declaration. For instance, they are often needed for matters relating to the Social Insurance Bank, pension funds or a Dutch municipality. Embassies and consulates can draw up consular declarations. Applicants must make an appointment at an embassy or consulate, bringing a number of documents (and/or copies) with them. Please note that embassies and consulates must abide by local laws when drawing up declarations. Embassies or consulates can issue the following documents:

Declaration of residence

A declaration of residence is needed for various tax and social security purposes, renewing a driving licence or applying for a travel document at Schiphol airport or selected Dutch border municipalities. You must show that you have the permission of the local authorities to reside in the country where you are applying. You must also provide a valid identity document and be able to prove you have Dutch nationality. Furthermore the embassy will have to check that you are not registered in the Dutch personal records database ( bevolkingsregister).

Declaration of marital status

Sometimes called a declaration of unmarried status, this document is issued only if it is not possible to get a similar document from the local authorities. If you have never been married, 'unmarried' will appear on the document. Otherwise, the terms 'divorced' or 'widow(er)' will appear. The document will be issued only if you are not currently married.

Details of all your previous marriages must appear on the document. To apply, you must provide copies of the following:

  • If you have never been married: a certificate from the Dutch municipality where you were most recently registered showing you were not married when you left the Netherlands.
  • If you were married: divorce certificates, foreign court judgments or a death certificate.
  • A valid identity document.
  • Proof of municipal registration.

Certificate of the capacity to contract marriage

If you are a Dutch national living abroad and want to marry a national of your country of residence, you may have to provide a document showing there is no objection in the Netherlands to your marriage.

You and your non-Dutch partner should come to embassy, bringing copies of the following:

For yourself:

  • A complete copy of your birth certificate or extract from the register of births.
  • An extract from the Dutch Register of Births, Deaths, Marriages and Registered Partnerships ( Burgerlijke Stand) showing you are unmarried. This document must not have been issued more than 12 months ago. If you left the Netherlands before 1 October 1994, you can request an extract from the municipality of The Hague. If you left the Netherlands after 1 October 1994, you can request an extract from the municipality where you were most recently registered.
  • A copy of a divorce certificate if you have been married before.
  • Dutch identity documents.

For your non-Dutch partner:

  • Identity documents.
  • Proof of address.  

Certificate of life

A certificate of life is normally required by Dutch benefits agencies and pension funds like the ABP Pension Fund and Social Insurance Bank. You can obtain one from an embassy or consulate if:

  • You appear in person at the consular section of the embassy or consulate.
  • You show a valid identity document.
  • You can provide of proof of your nationality or nationalities.
  • You can provide proof of your address, e.g. a certificate of registration from the municipality where you live.
  • You can provide proof of your marital status, e.g. a marriage certificate.

Stamping and signing a certificate of life

If you are entitled to Dutch benefits, every year you must prove you are alive. The relevant benefits agency will provide you with the documents needed to do this. An embassy or consulate can sign and stamp these documents, provided that:

  • You are a Dutch national.
  • Everyone listed on the documents appears in person at the embassy or consulate.
  • Everyone listed on the documents can provide a valid identity document.
  • Everyone listed on the documents can provide proof of their address, e.g. using official documents from the authorities in the country where you live.
  • Everyone listed on the documents signs them in person at the embassy in the presence of an embassy worker.

If you cannot come to an embassy or consulate, you can go to your local municipal offices or a notary.

Certificate of Dutch nationality

For more information about Certificates of Dutch nationality and to apply for one, visit the page Nationality certificate.

Certificate of conduct

A certificate of conduct is not issued by the embassy or consulate, but by the Dutch State Secretary for Security. For more information please visit their website.