Netherlands Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus

Airport transit visa

An airport transit visa (type A) is for transiting through the international transit areas of airports in the Schengen Area, but not for entering the territory of a Schengen state.

Whether you require a Schengen airport transit visa depends on your nationality.

Travelers, even though they have a visa required nationality, are exempt from having an airport transit visa for transit if they:

  • Hold a valid visa or residence permit issued by a Schengen state.
  • Hold a visa valid for a member state of the European Union or the European Economic Area, Canada, Japan or the United States.
  • Hold a valid residence permit issued by a member state of the European Union or the European Economic Area.
  • Hold a residence permit issued by the Principality of Andorra, Canada, Japan, the Republic of San Marino, or the United States, that guarantees unrestricted right of return.
  • Are a family member of a citizen of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
  • Hold a diplomatic passport.
  • Are  on-duty  aircrew and a national of a country that is a party to the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation.

Find out where and how to apply for a airport transit visa.

Related documents

See also