Netherlands Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus

Uniform visa (short-stay visa)

A uniform visa (type C) – also known as a short-stay visa – entitles its holder to free movement throughout the entire Schengen Area for a maximum of 90 days in any 180-day period.

Whether you require a short-stay visa depends on your nationality. If you have more than one nationality, whether you need a visa will depend on which passport you intend to travel on. If you intend to travel on a passport of a country whose nationals require a Schengen visa, you will need a visa, even if you have another nationality for which no visa is required.

The definition of ‘short-stay’ in the Schengen Area is 90 days in any 180-day period. The short-stay calculator can be used for calculating whether your planned visit falls within these limits.

Family members of EU/EEA nationals who require a Schengen visa

You may be entitled to a faster visa procedure, free of charge, if you meet all of the following criteria:

  • You are a family member of an European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) citizen; and
  • that EU/EEA citizen is travelling to or is residing in an EU member state other than the member state of which they are a citizen; and
  • you are accompanying that EU/EEA citizen or planning to join them in the Schengen state of destination.

If you think you are entitled to a faster visa procedure you will need to show proof that you meet the above criteria when you submit your visa application.

Find out where and how to apply for a uniform visa (short-stay visa).